Monday, January 23, 2012

Shylock

Al Pacino as the Jew Shylock. I could not think of a better, more passionate actor to play him.
Here is Shylock's monologue:



Shakespeare does such a good job in extracting pity from the audience for Shylock. He has been persecuted, mocked, and hardened. However, he loses the audience's sympathies as soon as he strives for them.
Everyone refers to him as a devil and we know of his hatred towards Antonio in making the bond. The audience really turns against him in two main scenes. The first when he discovers his daughter is gone and repeatedly yells "My daughter! O my ducats! O my daughter!" The second in court when he becomes a cruel, evil monster, engrossed simply by his hatred and desire for revenge. Here is the most obvious contrast between justice and mercy. Shylock loses audience sympathies through his emphatic demand for justice.


A lot of the characters in this play really grab and intrigue me. I also think it is really interesting that we often dissect Shakespeare as literature instead of a play or a film. However, in this modern world we often run into adaptations or versions of Shakespeare in film before we read or see a live Shakespeare play.

As a film audience we are driven to turn against Shylock because everyone else is against him. The crowd--presented as a close Shakespearean audience is very vocal, loud and expressive. They all root for Antonio and mercy against Shylock and justice. As a film audience we are part of the loud crowd and almost want to jeer with them in favor of Antonio. This is created by camera angles and skillful design in adapting a play--an interactive Shakespearean play--into a film.



As I learn more about adapting a novel or play to film I am able to take these film adaptations of Shakespeare's plays in a different light. I am also inspired to admire Shakespeare as a great play-write. He clearly defines the characters we should love and hate, yet sometimes toying with our sympathies. We can identify with many of his characters at some point in the story. Although I may not sympathize with Shylock in the court room scene while he literally wants to kill Antonio, I identify with his monologue and the idea of being so persecuted and condemned for his beliefs. (As many religious people that belong to an uncommon belief system will). The condemnation that Shylock feels is a common reason people came to America--to escape religious persecution. 


I pose the question, through Antonio's and Shylock's relationship does Shakespeare praise or condemn Christian behavior?  I believe it could be argued either way. What do you think?  

5 comments:

  1. Honestly, I think Shakespeare does both. I think he mocks Christians for doing things that aren't really christian,but they say that they are doing it in the name of the church. Aka the Holy War as discussed in Henry V. I also think he appreciates true Christians.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well, and once you start looking at the play as a comedy, something I still struggle with, it becomes even more confusing: is Shakespeare mocking Christian stereotypes? Or is he playing with them to make Shylock into a comic character, full of stereotypes and passion?

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think he does both.
    I struggle with seeing Shylock as a humorous character because he is so full of spit fire and passion.
    However, I could totally see him playing up Antonio's loyalty and willingness to sacrifice himself as comedic through his relationship. I mean, heavens, Bassanio is a newly wed yet he claims he would sacrifice his life and hers to keep Antonio alive. It's such a deep "bro" relationship when I watched the court scene I wondered if they were gay!

    Looking at these aspects of the play also make you wonder if this play is really more of a comedy or tragedy. A believe there is a lot of scholarship on this topic, too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Honestly, I think we all can have the most pity for Shylock and not the Christians. If you think about it, right before he turns into a "monster" he just lost his daughter to a man of another faith. I think we would have the same reaction if our sister or brother married someone that was catholic, or jewish and then completely left the church. We'd grieve. Shylock has just been scorned so much his whole life that he just wants to get back at the system. It's a lose-lose situation for him. He's not allowed to have anything else in his life, so at least he can have justice. But then Portia rips that out of his hands and destroys him. Some christian she is....

      Delete
    2. I understand where you are coming from and agree with the majority of your argument. However, I think it is really hard for us to sympathizes with someone who thinks it is in their legal right to murder his condemner. The crime does not fit the punishment. In our legal system today we do would not let a debtor be murder. The most plausible reason I can think of for our legal system to accept killing someone is in self-defense. Only in a "kill or be killed" situation do you have the legal right to take someone's life.
      I also think that he also loses the audience's sympathy when after he loses Jessica he complains more about losing the money--ducats and gems--then he is concerned about losing Jessica.

      It seems like he would be such an easy character to identify with, but Shakespeare lends the play to sympathize with Antonio.

      Delete