Friday, January 13, 2012

Dipping in The Tempest

The Tempest is classified as a Shakespeare Romance. Interestingly I have found the first two acts more humorous than romantic.

My favorite line is in Act II
Antonio: "What impossible matter will he make easy next?"
Sebastian: "I think he will carry this island home in his pocket and give it his son for an apple."

Shakespeare is a master at comedic relief in his tragedies and I am pleased to discover the same stylistic comedy in this romance.

While I was treading YouTube in search of a video representation of this scene I came across an awesome movie trailer. Apparently The Tempest was turned into a film in 2010.
I had not heard anything about it, but it looks awesome.



I also looked into the representation of Ariel that the movie gives:



The ambiguity of Ariel's gender in the play is intriguing, so I was interested to find they did a male representation. I look forward to exploring more of this through academic articles.

No comments:

Post a Comment