Monday, January 9, 2012

Pick your Poison

My friend just wrote a paper discovering his own approaches and rituals while writing a paper. It turned me onto the idea that we all approach reading a book differently. I drastically change my approach even depending on the book I pick up. (There is a modern book that talks to the audience about reading and the nature of reading in a very funny, commentary way, but I cannot remember the name of it).

If I pick up a book for leisure reading, I strive for the 'romantic' setting of curling up in a huge armchair, wrapped in a blanket, ideally next to a big crackling fire, with just some peace and quiet.

If I read a textbook, I typically sprawl on the floor lying on my stomach, textbook lying open with my notes or other materials in an arch surrounding me.

What is your favorite way to read a book?

In my approach to reading Shakespeare's The Tempest I will first read a general outline of the play. I typically turn to Sparknotes.com or other equivalents like Shmoop.com. Then I will embark on my adventure of reading The Tempest. Most of it I will read silently, but some of the soliloquies or monologues I will read aloud.

1 comment:

  1. I love your approaches. For me, I love doing careful readings of Shakespeare, researching background information and pulling apart the dialogue. I love sitting in my little corner on our couch, curled up in a blanket. Sometimes, though, I will read aloud to my children, which is always an adventure!

    ReplyDelete