Sunday, January 8, 2012

Breaking Conventions

I chose to read a variety of Shakespeare sonnets.
I found that several of the seemingly romantic poems were not romantic at all.
This is odd because the style was over the top ridiculous admiration of a woman to seal her beauty through time. However, Shakespeare makes fun of this convention with Sonnet 130.

Here is a cool video of this sonnet my professor created. I really enjoyed it and hope you will too. :)


Shakespeare also talks about unexpected topics in strange ways.
For example, in sonnet 51 Shakespeare talks about his horse being slow and delaying his arrival. However, it talks about it factually when you might expect cheesy lines such as "my heart races towards you faster than this foul beast can carry me."


Shakespeare sonnets are a different look at Shakespeare style and conventions--or lack thereof. They also make Shakespeare more accessible to a less patient crowd.
Bite sized Shakespeare for everyone!!

2 comments:

  1. I love the Video Dr. B. created! It's always so cool to see professors do something like that. I appreciate him sharing that, and you sharing it too! Oh, and I responded to your question on the comment thread where you posted it. I hope it helps you and if you need any other ways to explain how to do the photos I'm more than willing to show you or explain again. :)

    By the way, I love the layout of your blog. Everytime I get on it reminds me of sitting in front of a fire ;) Very cool.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks! I appreciate the feedback and technological help. This is my first blog :).

    ReplyDelete