Tuesday, January 10, 2012

Ignorantly Drowning in Shakespeare

Shakespeare has imposed an outstanding influence throughout time.

As I was reading for my Film and Literature class I discovered an allusion to an all too familiar play--Hamlet. In the beginning of A Christmas Carol Charles Dickens says,

"There is no doubt that Marley was dead. This must be distinctly
understood, or nothing wonderful can come of the story I am
going to relate. If we were not perfectly convinced that Hamlet's Father
died before the play began, there would be nothing more remarkable
in his taking a stroll at night, in an easterly wind, upon his own ramparts,
than there would be in any other middle-aged gentleman rashly turning
out after dark in a breezy spot--say Saint Paul's Churchyard for
instance--literally to astonish his son's weak mind."

I also recently discovered another allusion to Hamlet in a well-known work by T.S. Elliot "The Love Song of J. Alfred Prufrock."

"No! I am not Prince Hamlet, nor was meant to be;
Am an attendant lord, one that will do
To swell a progress, start a scene or two,
Advise the prince; no doubt, an easy tool,
Deferential, glad to be of use,
Politic, cautious, and meticulous;
Full of high sentence, but a bit obtuse;
At times, indeed, almost ridiculous--
Almost, at times, the Fool" (line 111-119).

Shakespeare has truly saturated our culture and I find it very interesting to discover these allusions to Shakespeare in common literature as I learn and consume more Shakespeare and popular/academic literature.

Have you discovered a cool Shakespeare allusion?

2 comments:

  1. I know what you mean! I hear quotes all the time from movies that refer back to Shakespeare! It's so funny! I was watching a show the other day and the phrase "dashed to pieces" was uttered. It reminded me of "The Tempest!" Pretty awesome.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I found this blog that has a video of "the five most important Shakespeare allusions in Willy Wonka and the Chocolate Factory."

    ReplyDelete