Friday, January 20, 2012

Brainstorming

So in anticipation of our upcoming research paper I have been looking into some topics I would be interested in delving more into.



I love analyzing the portrayal and development of women in literature. I discovered this passion during a late British literature class when I was surrounding by women's conduct books and other literature concerning how women's role transformed over 100 years. First time I have ever loved research and wished I could stay in the library for hours and hours more simply consuming all I could.

So now, any chance I get I look at women, how they are portrayed, how men treat them, how society treats them, anything and everything.

So I was researching women in Shakespeare plays and stumbled upon an awesome list. (thank you Wikipedia!)        http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Women_in_Shakespeare's_works


For a preliminary topic choice/ emphasis for my research paper I want to read Taming of the Shrew and look into the character of Kate. Kate is an older sister who has an adorable, desirable little sister. However, Dad won't let little sister (Bianca) get married until her older sister gets married. (It was my older sister who gave me permission to get married first--oh how times change). So the town boys get Kate married off to someone willing to take in such a 'shrew.' The story follows Kate's transformation in marriage and how her husband 'tames the shrew.'



I also discovered that the movie 10 Things I Hate About You is an adaptation of Taming of the Shrew. 

There are several directions I could take this paper:

  1. Analyze Kate and her transformation throughout the story
  2. Compare Kate and Bianca/ their attitudes, how they are looked upon by society & men, etc.
  3. Analyze the adaptation 10 Things I Hate About You to the original story Taming of the Shrew
  4. Compare Taming of the Shrew Kate to 10 Things I Hate About You Kate


What do y'all think? 

3 comments:

  1. I seem to have an obsession with
    1) book to film adaptations
    and
    2) women and their roles in literature
    so i think this sounds great and am rather jealous myself :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You should look into taking English 345 "Literature & Film." My professor is retired/ing but hopefully they can find someone else to take over his class next semester and continued. :)

      It is a really cool class. I love it and all we do is talk about literature and film adaptations. :) (I'm in it this semester, and it is one of my favorite classes).

      Delete
  2. I saw 10 Things I Hate About You when it first came out, so I was youngish--probably way to young to see that movie--but I loved even when I was 9. It was the beginning of a very long crush on Heath Ledger. :)

    ReplyDelete