Saturday, January 14, 2012

Miranda, the lone woman

After reading The Tempest I looked up some criticism concerning the play.

I looked up some thoughts concerning Miranda because I thought it was interesting that she was the only female in the play. It is suggested that the romance leads her to a self-discovery, that her love relationship with Prince Ferdinand turned her father's motivation for revenge into a complacent reconciliation. Another article suggests that Miranda has an angelic nature that is contrasted to the island's darkness.

I think it is interesting how Shakespeare chooses to portray the only woman in the play. Miranda is ignorant of the real-world, and then excitedly accepts the first prospect that comes along. Miranda falls in love with Ferdinand and yet he "is the third man that e'er [she] saw, the first that e'er I sigh'd for." (Act I, scene ii)
One of those previous men had been for father so I'm glad that she didn't swoon for him.

So Miranda is full of hope and eagerness about the 'brave new world' she has to discover and embraces it with what some call optimism, but I call naivety. She almost represents hope and the promise of new life.

Why do you think Shakespeare chooses to represent women this way?   


No comments:

Post a Comment