Wednesday, January 4, 2012

Past Experience with Shakespeare

Throughout the years, I have had many forced exposures to Shakespeare. Despite many negative experiences I have discovered some really enjoyable elements and perspectives to Shakespeare.

The language is difficult and often hard to understand; however, well-done plays make the text much more accessible.

My favorite play is Macbeth. I love the complex themes and psychological elements of the main characters. The question of madness driven by greed, poisoned by guilt.

Shakespeare often takes a mythological or extreme situation to very common and plausible situations. That is what makes Shakespeare so relevant today. The study of human nature has evolved and Shakespeare is a master at articulating certain elements of common human nature to study. There is also a complexity in character motivations because--after all--we are not creatures of simplicity.

I look forward to continuing to discover Shakespeare as I learn to appreciate and value his works.

4 comments:

  1. You could certainly return to Macbeth and deepen your understanding of that play. Glad you are up and going with your blog!

    ReplyDelete
  2. awesome! :) I'm glad you're willing to read Shakespeare again.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yea, Shakespeare is difficult to read. It was meant to be performed and a good performance can make it completely understandable.

    ReplyDelete
  4. @ Mikhaela: experience has taught me this same concept. On the other hand, a bad performance can make Shakespeare impossible to understand or very crude depending on the play.

    I'm glad that I have been able to reach out and see multiple--good and bad--performances of Shakespeare's plays.

    ReplyDelete