Wednesday, February 15, 2012

Switching Gears

In class there are several other students doing a study incorporating Shakespeare and Education. We discussed the general topic and directions we were taking. We are going to gear our individual projects to lead into a collaborative project later down the road.

My angle is turning out to be more of a "presenting the problem" and talking about different ways technology is incorporated into the learning experience. There are several limitations on public schools and situations are so diverse that we are thinking about leaning towards home-schoolers or unconventional independent learners can discover and learn about Shakespeare.

My previous thoughts were leaning towards how facebook, twitter, blogging, and sparknotes can play a role in this learning and the advantages or disadvantages of these tools.

How we learn is rapidly teaching. It is changing so drastically it concerns me that as I have received e-mails from high school teachers and professors that the teaching methods have not changed- they are commonly void of technology. Shakespeare has been transformed in adaptation movies (The Tempest and it's 2011 movie), plays (Shakespeare in the Park), movie spin-offs (Taming of the Shrew and 10 Things I Hate About You). It is also highly discussed in facebook and blogs.

Here is an example of a student using Openstudy.com to ask a question about Hamlet. Openstudy.com is a collaborative learning tool that people can use to ask and respond to questions. Essentially you can study and discuss material online without ever being IN a classroom.

As I continue to blog about my research and analysis I (hopefully) will be able to take a specific direction which is very clouded to me at present-day.


2 comments:

  1. http://www.ncte.org/library/NCTEFiles/Resources/Journals/EJ/0991-sep09/EJ0991Teacher.pdf

    i thought you might be interested in this :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I cannot access it. Is there a way you can claim member status online? I paid through Dixie so the online account doesn't recognize me as a member.

    ReplyDelete