Friday, February 17, 2012

Digital Media

I am not sure what 'digital media' incorporates besides YouTube videos and movies (which are to come later) so I decided to look at the digital art available.

I don't deal a lot with art, so I wasn't sure where to begin. I started browsing databases through our HBLL website. I was unsuccessful (probably due to my inexperience) at finding a lot of things, but I did come across one AWESOME website called art.com which has 'extensive' (compared to the other ones I found) collections of works surrounding William Shakespeare.

I wanted to try to find art specific to the play Coriolanus because that is the particular play I am looking into. So browsed art.com, amazon.com, and did just a general google image search.

I found a select few paintings that kept popping up as the only ones.

1) Unfortunately I could not find anymore information on this painting other than "A scene from Shakespeare's Coriolanus." I am trying to figure out which scene it could be representing, but I haven't ran into a satisfying answer yet so I will let ya know my opinion later.


2) This I found an amazon.com on sale for about $25. The description is "Pietro da Cortona (Coriolanus before Rome)" framed in a black trim. It is a poster print if you are interested: amazon.com. I like this painting because it is very dynamic- although it is a little busy it provoked a lot of emotion.
3) "George IV as Coriolanus" by George Cruikshank. I really like the faces in this painting. If you get close up you can see that George IV has a halo-like glow surrounding him as if to suggest his divine right to be king. The crowd around him has varied body language and facial expressions, it looks like they were protesting and then something divine happened to make them coward away from him fearfully. The combining of a historical figure into a Shakesperian tragedy brings an element of realism to this photo and connecting Shakespeare to the world.



Now for my favorite one!!

4) "The Interior of the Theatre During a Performance of Shakespeares Coriolanus" by Thomas Rowlandson. I highly suggest going on the website to check this one out (Art.com: Interior of the Theatre) because then you can zoom in to see the detail. I like this one because it shows how Shakespeare was performed in the olden days. It also gives you a general feeling of the immensity of the theaters, showing how many people went to watch Shakespeare and appreciated its entertainment.





No comments:

Post a Comment