Sunday, February 19, 2012

Performance Analysis

I tried all week to get my hands on a film version of Coriolanus (I really wanted the 2011 version) to no avail.


However, I was able to find several clips of the play and through information figure out the scene sequence. So I will talk about one of the specific clips I was able to get a hold of for an in-depth performance analysis.

In this movie, they made the setting the modern world. So in war you have the modern look of war--machine guns, camouflage, tactics. In this clip,  you have the two generals- hated rivals- have a one-on-one fight. The scene gets introduced with Coriolanus telling Tullus Aufidius that he will fight none but him because he hates him. Tullus matches his hate and brings the fight down to only knives. They show their equality and respect for one another by handing their machine guns to their men and going into a hand-to-hand combat with only knives and their skills. Their men stand about in a circle overseeing the fight, but respecting the pact between their generals. I do not imagine this style of war happens very often in the modern day; however, it is a needed addition to portray the Shakespearian play. It escalates these men's hate for one another, while also showing their respect for one another. 

I liked this scene because we get a very raw sense of these two men. It is hard for me to believe that Coriolanus goes to his most hated enemy to join with him in battle against his own country. Not only because of the level of betrayal, but I am amazed that Tullus would even trust him- I would have killed my enemy on the spot. However, this scene sets up 1) the mutual respect between the generals- they are both great warriors and they can see the value in each other as so. This helps set up Coriolanus's ability to go to his greatest enemy and join forces with him. Tullus may hate him, but he knows Coriolanus's value as a warrior and as the general of the enemy- he knows their secrets, strategies and weaknesses. 2) This scene sets up the tension and hatred between these two men. When Coriolanus joins forces with Tullus and his army we know the apparent level of hatred he has for them displayed here. This ripples into a greater audience understanding of the hatred and betrayal Coriolanus feels from his country in order to join with his most hated enemy. 

I am having a hard time finding resources for this Shakespeare play, but I will continue in my search for a copy of this movie and hopefully be able to watch the full version. 

3 comments:

  1. You should try http://globalshakespeares.org/# ...I've been using it pretty heavily and it has some really great stuff. Good luck!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Did you check the library? They have soo many books on all of Shakespeare's plays.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you Mallory it looks like they have some good stuff I could use. :)

    ReplyDelete