Saturday, March 3, 2012

Messy Writing Process

So normally when I write about I tailor my sources to my already conceived ideas about a piece of text or literature. This is not what happened with this research paper. With this research paper I was constantly changing my direction as I found more sources and talked to more teachers.

When it actually got down to the writing of my research paper I ended up with about four different google docs ranging from a thought process, breaking down sources, and a few rough draft paragraphs that said along the same lines of the same thing but each had important key element the other was missing.

So I resolved to print everything out and do an old fashion cut and paste (tape) project.

My messed up writing process:



This is my rough draft/ outline broken down into sections (by highlighted boxes) with various rough paragraphs attached, quotes to incorporate, and then some scribbling pen to lead me on in a further direction.

My boyfriend thought I was nuts for doing this, but it really calmed me down and I was able to see a clear focus and outline for my research. I did decide to post-pone my facebook category (the blank box) because the amount of research did not match the research I had for blogs and twitter.

I thought it was ironic that my paper was about integrating technology into the classroom yet I got overloaded by the technology and needed to go back to hard copies of all my research. Just goes to show that I am one of those students who need a healthy balance between technology and hard copy activities. I am a very hands-on person and it is how I organize my thoughts best, but I have done several previous research papers purely through technology.

2 comments:

  1. I'm glad you posted about your process and took a picture of your old-school, cut-and-paste method. I agree with you that sometimes you have to get your ideas out of the machine just like you have to get your ideas out of your head. No shame in that. I think that the more media you are comfortable with, the more you can move between for different purposes. Sometimes I find myself needing to hand write an idea in order to understand it, for example, even if it's easier to type it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This was actually the process that brought about the section I included about assessments. I would have never thought about it had I not been literally staring at everything and piecing it all together. :) I love my piece of paper and think it is awesome. Although it's funny because I will only keep the electronic copy (the picture) around for long. Ironic how blended life has become. Even today's technology is changing as they combine the idea of computer and cellphone.

    ReplyDelete